14.6.11

Quake City once more

Just after Christie's recent reflective post on the series of Christchurch quakes, two more massive earthquakes hit us yesterday afternoon. The first was a 5.7, and the second a 6.3. Christie and I were both at home and got in contact with each other very quickly, thank god. They were both terrifying, especially in my condemned and extremely badly damaged house. I ran outside during both quakes, to hear the sound of broken glass and people screaming. We lost power along with 47,000 other households, and still have to boil our water. The earth has barely stopped moving since they hit. Thankfully the historic CBD remains closed, so although more buildings were destroyed in the tremors, only one death has been reported so far. However, the whole city is in limbo and it's a very painful and stressful time for all of us.

The remainder of this post was written yesterday morning, as I procrastinated studying for my upcoming exams. I feel a bit stupid posting it now, but I suppose life must go on.




(Wearing 1950s handpainted deer skirt from Etsy, my boyfriend's tshirt, vintage 1940s necklace that was a present from him, and Goldenponies brogues from Etsy)

This skirt is one of those things I added to my Etsy favourites list hoping that I might win lotto or something. I sorta checked back on it every so often (am I the only one who does this?), even including it in my wishlist over at Ventricular Projects. One day on my usual tour through my favourites, I noticed it had inexplicably fallen in price from $100-and-something to eighteen dollars. Probably the fastest Etsy transaction I've ever made. I adore it beyond words, although I've had trouble figuring out what to wear it with, so have resorted to this tshirt that Logan doesn't seem to have realised I've had for months now. I can't wear it when he's around in case he asks for it back!

I'm just about to head over to a friend's brand new house, where liquefaction (muddy silt that is pushed up through the earth during quakes) has seeped inside and needs digging out. You can read my post on the February 22nd earthquake here. If you would like to donate to the Red Cross effort, you can do so here.

17 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're okay! Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Georgia! I'm so glad to hear you're okay! <3 It was so scary wasn't it? The one at 3am gave me a fright too - though my boyfriend slept through it! Isn't that crazy! On a brighter note, your skirt is so adorable! What an amazing piece <3

    x
    www.lostinthehaze.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Georgia - oh you poor things! My boyfriend's family all lives in Christchurch (and it was his Dad's birthday yesterday) so we heard about the quakes straight away. You must all be so tired of the earth moving underneath you - it really breaks my heart that Christchurch keeps suffering so much damage. Thinking of you and Christie both.

    xx L

    ps. On a fashion aside - you are as pretty as a picture in your super cute skirt - and I really do love when items in one's etsy favorites suddenly goes on sale!! Hope it helped brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pps. I think I am coming down to Christchurch sometime next month and would love to take you girls out for a coffee/drink of sorts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of love and well wishes from Auckland. If there's anything I can do let me know okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, quite the bargain that skirt!

    And yikes to more Earthquakes. Stay safe. Don't know what else to say really; you guys have really had a hard time of it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi sweets,so glad you're all good.
    It's just getting a little ridiculous,isn't it?!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you guys are ok. I can't believe it's happened again.

    The skirt is cute. I love the little deer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh happiness is a skirt with deer on it!! You look so cute sweet! V

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy shit. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. So unsetteling and scary. A 6.3 is a big deal. with the ground still moving you mustn't feel like you can take a breath. I hope you are ok and taking care of your self. :s

    of course i adore that skirt on you but i feel silly writing that here.

    urgh. take care lady!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so strong! You also look so beautiful in this outfit, I am in love with your deer skirt!

    Sending Best Wishes your way!

    xo, Strawberry Moth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again, I'm so happy you're safe and I can't stress enough how much I'm hoping this is the last tragedy your community experiences for a very long time.

    You look lovely and I'm glad a little Etsy magic came your way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you are ok. I looove your skirt, Bambi is soo cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear you're safe! I hope everything works out well for your friend too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this skirt on Etsy. I wanted it so so badly but it was so expensive (I can't believe the price drop)! You are one lucky lady to have it! I love the styling on the outfit with the little oxfords. Too cute lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to hear about the earthquakes you've been experiencing, but I'm glad that you and your friend are okay. That skirt is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! If you require a specific answer to a question, you can find our email addresses on our 'about' page. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...