27.7.13

To A T

Wearing a 1950s velvet floral rose-print dress from Trade Me, opshopped cropped cardigan, opshopped fur collar safety pinned onto it, opshopped belt, opshopped McKinleys t-bar school shoes, clear heart perspex hangbag from Etsy and velvet 1950s bow headband from Etsy. I am pulling those faces because my brother was doing some Austin Powers impression while taking these. Wow my face is so wonky around the jaw.

This outfit kinda seems full-on zany old lady to me, and I'm okay with that. I feel like all I need is some big round glasses and lilac hair and it could legitimately be transplanted to a 70-year-old former ballet teacher or something. Also, I've written and re-written a paragraph on the ethics of wearing second hand fur and leather a few times, but everything I say on the matter sounds horribly trite and self-important. Let me leave it at: on a sliding scale which goes from very evil to very good, I think there are a lot worse things a person can do than wear a second-hand, opshopped, 60-year-old garment made of an animal.

A few weeks ago I had a Friday off work because I covered someone's Sunday, and used the rare free weekday to do some opshopping. Jack and I bussed out to Johnsonville, where we have historically had good luck, and we were not disappointed. In the first shop I got these sweet 70s leather platforms. Excuse my pilled old tights. In the next I found this amazing dress printed with sketches of ballerinas as well as these perfect leather McKinleys NZ-made t-bar school shoes. Jack found a super nice three-piece late 60s suit, and we got all that stuff for free because we bought this AMAZING comfy and gorgeous 60s couch for $40!
Lazy photos off my Instagram.

And while I am posting photos from my Instagram, I've got to share this one because my readership is mostly Kiwis. I went to see Ginger & Rosa the other night and in the foyer who did I see being interviewed for a TV show but my favourite political figure, Tim Shadbolt! I stood around 'texting someone' until he was free and swooped in for the handshake and political chit-chat, which turned into us hanging out (!) and walking around Wellington together (!!) until I had to go meet some pals for dessert. He is, obviously, incredibly funny and cool and such fun. I am so happy to have met him! Most MPs I would never approach in public, and when I saw Aaron Gilmore furniture shopping I just gawked, but as soon as I saw him I was like THIS HAS TO HAPPEN.

Ugh soz for the bad photo, my crappy water-damaged phone does not perform well in low light.
 

In the end Tim got my email address so I hope he contacts me! Maybe we can be penpals. I am so starstruck haha. I know this has nothing to do with fashion. Um, I was wearing my blue cape at the time if that counts for anything. That thing brings me amazing luck I swear.

14 comments:

  1. oh there is so much to comment on in this post!! I really like Tim Shadbolt too, he has been a great mayor for Invercargill. I love the dress with roses and the one with the dancers and the couch. Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoorah for more Tim fans! He really is a breath of fresh air in NZ's often stale political environment.

      Delete
  2. Both of those dresses are lovely. I like the double straps on the ballerina dress. Tim Shadbolt! After the September earthquake when there was no power and nothing to do I read his autobiography 'Bullshit & Jellybeans'. It was strangely calming when I was freaked out. I'm with you about second hand fur and leather. Sometimes I get pangs of guilt because I wear both but don't eat meat, but I just can't stop because I really love my red 50s coat with the fur collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am yet to read that, but I probably should. I feel you on the pangs of guilt, but I try to think of the impact of my actions in real terms rather than abstract notions and ideologies, and I think the real impact of wearing a couple of bits of old fur and some leather school shoes from the 90s is incredibly small.

      Delete
  3. Your rose dress is a beauty, and the ballerina print on your new-to-you frock is exquisite. Hello cleavage!
    Great platforms and a cool couch too - a very successful trip!
    Had to google Tim Shadbolt, he has a fab name and sounds like he would be very good company. Hope he stays in touch! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, the dramatic cleavage is unavoidable! Have to wear a cardi buttoned over it sometimes. Tim is a great fella but I fear his plate may be too full for us to become buddies haha. xo

      Delete
  4. Delicious frocks!!! I'm gaga over those splendid shoes! You have such great opshop luck!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blog is darling! your ensembles are terribly pretty.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was either $5 or $10 on Trade Me, pretty chuffed.

      Delete
  7. I like the way that brown collar tricked me into thinking it was your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I have the exact same red circle dress! Is yours sleeveless, too? Twins!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The velvet one?! Nah it's got sleeves down to around my elbow. It's handmade but maybe someone mass-manufactured them from the same fabric at some point?

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! If you require a specific answer to a question, you can find our email addresses on our 'about' page. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...